Sunday, August 29, 2010

Maternal aphasia: Month 6.25

Back from our two vacations (one with nuclear family, the other with extended), I am ready to admit something: I was forced to face the fact of my quick temper while we were away (primarily via one experience involving someone else's), and I made a public avowal to start working on this. Immediately.

Having grown up with a father whose hair-trigger temper kept me in line, even as I observed its lack of effect on my brothers, I am aware of its source. But as I've noticed that my own displays of rage are promptly returned to my feet by a nearly 3.75-year-old, who is just as willing to yell as I am, I've started recognizing the error of my way. This is no way to be, going forward. This is no place to come from, looking backward. The half-yearling looks on with concern when yelling is going on. I owe him a chance to not hear it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're not alone.