Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Maternal aphasia: Month 4.5

Stop!!!!!! Time is passing way too quickly and I can't update this blog weekly. Let's try for bi-weekly, or semi-monthly, or, as I used to note in the database I used to check in periodicals at the IMF library, "24TY."

I'm on borrowed time - it's 11:15 pm and I was out late at a rock show last night (the second I've attended since Abe was born, and maybe the last for a while, since the morning after is always brutal) - but today was, despite the 100+ degree temp, one of the best with the two kids in a long time. We just hunkered down and enjoyed being with each other today. Jonah and I made an aquarium mural, and then he decided we should hang the paper on his bedroom wall and pretend it was a movie that we all sat on his bed to watch. He was concerned that Abe would be afraid of the shark. Then Jonah played the "pouring game," which involves him at the kitchen sink with all manner of vessels, pouring water between them and using tools like a ladle and a funnel to make it more fun (and instructive).

Abe is an amazing creature. Both kids have had a summer cold for about 4 days, and despite this, my little one soldiers on, not nearly as fussy as he could be. He is scooting and rolling around and never stays where we leave him for very long. He sometimes speaks in a low, guttural growl that I remember from Jonah at this stage. Yet he's an excellent listener when you talk to him. Tonight I was folding a fitted sheet while he was lying on our bed looking up at me. He was interested in the way I kept disappearing and reappearing from behind the sheet. And I told him that I was doing one of the things in life that is the most frustrating, and that I hoped that his biggest frustration in life would be trying to fold a fitted sheet properly. He listened, eyes gleaming, smirking a little. I felt as thou
gh I were in the presence of a confidant. It was a lovely thing.

No comments: