Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maternal aphasia: Week Six

I just put Abe down in his crib asleep and walked out of the room. Not that remarkable, except that we haven't been doing this. In six weeks the babe has not slept more than 20 minutes in his crib. This needs to change, because we aren't human cribs, and six weeks old is a good time for a baby to start accepting certain home truths. Also: Mama is not your pacifier. Your pacifier is made of silicone and is called NUK, so please, stop spitting it out.

Jonah is on school vacation and I was dreading the three days alone with him and Abe before the weekend. I needn't have. Yesterday the weather was not good, and we all had a good time. Today the weather was phenomenal, and we all had a good time. Jonah was very affectionate with me today - perhaps he is starting to get back to his good old self? - and the number of times he used his ugly new catchphrase ("I don't like it!") was under five, I think. Compared with 25,000 times in previous days.

I wish I could find a way to nap during the day. Yesterday Jonah napped in the car, but Abe was awake, so I spent 90 minutes nursing him and hanging out with him in the front seat. Today was a stroller nap day, so at least we got to the corner cafe (where we ran into two people we knew - ah, Sesame Street), and I fortified myself with iced coffee. But there is no substitute for coming home, having Jonah nap in his bed, and getting some prone time for myself. Of course, in another 15 years Jonah will leave the house and I'll get regular naps and be sad about it...

No comments: